As You Like It
|ACT II SCENE II||A room in the palace.|
|[Enter DUKE FREDERICK, with Lords]|
|DUKE FREDERICK||Can it be possible that no man saw them?|
|It cannot be: some villains of my court|
|Are of consent and sufferance in this.|
|First Lord||I cannot hear of any that did see her.|
|The ladies, her attendants of her chamber,|
|Saw her abed, and in the morning early|
|They found the bed untreasured of their mistress.|
|Second Lord||My lord, the roynish clown, at whom so oft|
|Your grace was wont to laugh, is also missing.|
|Hisperia, the princess’ gentlewoman,||10|
|Confesses that she secretly o’erheard|
|Your daughter and her cousin much commend|
|The parts and graces of the wrestler|
|That did but lately foil the sinewy Charles;|
|And she believes, wherever they are gone,|
|That youth is surely in their company.|
|DUKE FREDERICK||Send to his brother; fetch that gallant hither;|
|If he be absent, bring his brother to me;|
|I’ll make him find him: do this suddenly,|
|And let not search and inquisition quail||20|
|To bring again these foolish runaways.|
Next: As You Like It, Act 2, Scene 3
Explanatory notes for Act 2, Scene 2
From As You Like It. Ed. Samuel Thurber, Jr. and Louise Wetherbee. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1922.
(Line numbers have been altered.)
Again we have a brief glimpse of the usurping Duke, which tells us that the girls and Touchstone have carried out their plans.
Line 3. are … this: have assisted them to escape.
7. untreastured: a beautiful metaphor.
8. roynish: base. Why should the clown be spoken of so contemptuously at this time?
10. Hisperia … company: Is it surprising that Hisperia should come to this conclusion? Picture the change of expression on the Duke’s face as the speech proceeds.
17. gallant: Orlando.
19. suddenly: immediately. It is not strange that the Duke seizes the opportunity for revenge when we remember his feeling for old Sir Rowland.
20. quail: cease.
1. How long have we been expecting this scene?
2. Why does the scene immediately follow the preceding?
3. What trait in Duke Frederick is particularly emphasized?